Blog Moved

This blog has been moved to TheComicsILike.com . You can still browse and view previous posts here, but new posts and updates will be made on the new domain.

Thanks for stopping by!! :)

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Review: Wolverine and the X-men #34


Wolverine and the X-men #34






Another jam packed installment of the Hellfire Saga and it was a pretty enjoyable read. I’m not so certain it beats the last issue but it takes the story another step forward with its customary action, zest and comical tone brought out in its bright, animated art. Umm.. what happens in this issue is far too much for me to do a recap (considering how my recaps are it’d be way too long) but I’d encourage you to pick it up if you haven’t already. Just know that the X-men have finally found the Hellfire Academy and the battle is on between the x-men and the horde of Krakoas bred by the club while Idie and Quentin try fight their way out contending with their classmates.

WHAT I LIKED ?
Just about all of it- from Iceman’s Power Ranger megazord style ice golem (which makes little sense to me when you observe iceman operating it from the inside) to husk beating Toad to a pulp. The battles that take place are full of little quips and nice visuals that fills the issue with comic book battle awesomeness. Doop is in it so you know that’s gonna  add to the hysteria.






Of note is what appears to be the fall of Kilgore, the Black King and the apparent disloyalty of the rest of his elite who don’t seem to think he’s much worth saving from the attack of Broo. In fact, they just sit back and let Broo have his way. It becomes clear at the end that they disagree with and no longer trust the judgement of Kilgore. They believe his “little experiment is a flop” and he should pull the plug. Kade seems almost delusional in the fact that they’ve lost in fact, he down right believes they’ve won. He could always be right… we’ll never know till the next issue. But objectively, their victory seems bleak.

From what Quentin’s telepathy picks up during the battle, it doesn't seem all the Hellfire Academy students are in love with being evil, particularly infestation and Blob. Also that big space scientist guy has decided to make his escape during the commotion and take Broo with him. These seem to set the stage for where the books might be going after this arc. We already know Idie and Blob end up back at the Jean Grey School (based on appearances I’ve seen in other titles that I assume are currently ahead in the timeline). The issue leaves us with a lot of questions and curiosities like ‘What is up with Glob?’ ‘What is up with Husk?!’ ‘Is Kade as hopelessly delusional as this issue would have him appear?’. These are all things I’m looking forward to finding out later on or in the long run.



I’ve always loved the visuals involved with Idie and Quentin’s display of powers. They are two character’s that I love to see on panel and the art does them justice- particularly Quentins pink hair *hehe*. I haven’t always been a fan of the art the last couple of series but in this case it only added to the goodness of this issue and arc.

WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE ?

Well this is something I’m not certain I don’t like. But the Broo story is part of what’s been moving the series along (if you hadn’t noticed) and I’m not so sure that I’m not tired of it. On the one hand, I kind of want them to give him a break (evidently he won't get it just yet if he’s going to be taken out into space) but on the other hand without Broo getting shot in the head and reduced to a less intelligent form, we wouldn't have had all this awesomeness. They’ve used him and his story, among other things, as plot points leading for the broader stories of some of the arcs and I’m not so averse to him leading Idie and Quentin out into space. The only thing is, if they do, I’d like to see more of some of the new JGS students as well as some of my old fave X-kids. But I’m in love with Quentin at this point so….

About Idie in that Black Queen getup?... last time it was a bit of a shocker. This time, while forgetting she’s 14 (thereabouts), I seemed to have been desensitized a bit. But still...



I give this issue an 8.9

No comments:

Post a Comment