Blog Moved

This blog has been moved to TheComicsILike.com . You can still browse and view previous posts here, but new posts and updates will be made on the new domain.

Thanks for stopping by!! :)

Saturday 27 July 2013

Review: Young Avengers #8

Young Avengers #8



This young and hip (lol) series never ceases to entertain. It has that fresh, different, feel enhanced by the clean art of Jaime McKelvie and Mike Norton. And this title has become one of my must reads because it always keeps me interested.

RECAP

It kicks off with the team, with their new addition, Prodigy, dimension hopping as they are both on the run from Hulkling’s extra-dimensional putty tentacle mom as well as on the tail of evil Patriot doppelganger who’s somehow managed to capture Billy’s brother Tommy.

It seems several of the dimensions they visit are dystopic or apocalyptic. One (or several) of which was an earth taken over by Noh-Varr to be the new Kree capital and another with cute little furball creatures that see Wiccan in their starry night constellation (something that Loki didn't want him to see for some reason).

Their trail for doppelganger patriot leads them to the home universe of tentacle mom, where she seems to have been awaiting them (*screams in terror*). Miss America is able to bust a dimensional door to get most of the youngins out in time, except for Prodigy and Hulkling. The ones that get out end up in a dimension where they come upon Leah (Loki’s old friend?).







While Hulkling and Patriot are stuck in tentacle mom’s dimension, Prodigy is able to stave her off by bluffing a spell he picked up from Dr. Strange to buy them some time as they run off into the creepy white dimension. It’s then that Hulkling and Prodigy make a pact to fight to the end. [Big Spoiler] “No regrets” Hulkling says. Prodigy tells him he can't say the same and its then that he kisses Hulkling!! (*gay gasps*)

REVIEW

The things of note in this issue :

+ Loki trying NOT to let Wiccan see his face in the stars of that furby dimension - I don't know why and I suppose we’ll find out later.

+Loki’s reunion with Leah - Guess I’ll find out about that soon enough too.

+The kiss - When I jumped to that page I was so caught off guard I literally JUMPED in my seat! After thinking about it and wondering “WHY would the writer’s do that?” (apart from the obvious excitement it would create) and “why did Prodigy do that?”, my immediate thought was maybe this is some weird part of Prodigy’s plan to get out of the situation (hey geniuses always have weird ways of solving things that never very obvious to the rest of us). But then i thought, “naaah”. At that moment I realized a few things. This could finally be how Hulkling gets to answer the question of whether or not Wiccan unintentionally (or intentionally) magiced him into falling unconditionally in love with him. If Hulkling was to,say, develop feelings for Prodigy or even become attracted to him as a result of this, this might clue him off to knowing that it wasn't magic that made him so in love with Wiccan in the first place. After all, if it was, then maybe he wouldn't be able to like or be attracted to anyone else. Personally, I’ve always thought their relationship had become too perfect. They’re teenagers for Pete’s sake. As for Prodigy? For some reason, he seems believably gay (or bi?). I don't know why. He’s the kind of gay I see in cyclops lol.

WHAT I LIKED ?

Almost everything, as you can probably tell by now. The writing style freely gives all those little fun things that reminds us that its a book about YOUNG Avengers. All those little tidbits , like Noh-Varr growing his beard out as homage to his newfound love of country music and Gram Parsons, references to social media, the overall language and the little quips remind me that this book is about teenagers (albeit superpowered) living in my this age. I cannot emphasize how much fun this title can be to read.



The art has really grown on me!

That KISS!! It has set the stage for more drama to come. And if there’s one thing I love as much as action, its DRAMA (of course provided it all actually moves the storyline and character development a step forward instead of an inch -___-)

WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE ?

There’s nothing that I disliked about this book.

This issue gets an 8.5

No comments:

Post a Comment